Friday, September 10, 2010
Monday, June 7, 2010
Mounted my winshield and ran the battery cables the other day. The car comes with the holes drilled for the windshield but they were too close together and I had to bow the assy. to get it to fit (not good) so I enlarged the holes quite a bit and now it fits down in the seal retainer a lot better and I won't have to worry about it cracking if I hit a bump. had to add a washer to the mounting posts but it worked out ok.
Also mounted a new master clutch cylinder (long story) and installed the starter motor.
Sunday, January 3, 2010
Didn't do much today, it's too cold outside. Cleaned out the trunk and got all the residue from wet sanding out of there. Drilled the hole in the firewall for the shifter cables to pass thru and put the Pegasus and Castrol decals on the car. Then I got too cold and went inside to warm up.
Posted by Iron Mike at 7:48 PM
Saturday, January 2, 2010
Finished up installing the hardware on the gas tank today. Fitted the filler and the fuel level sensor. Had a minor fit issue (one that I had been worried about since I sent the car to get painted) with the fuel filler and the cutout in the hood. Mine did not line up very well and actualy rubbed on the filler cap. So, I got out the trust Dremel tool and enlarged the opening a little bit. One other thing to keep in mind in order for the tank to fit flush in the hole for it you need to drill a hole in the body for the fuel outlet on the tank to fit in or the tank will not sit flush in the hole. I suggest you do this first and see how the filler lines up with the hole before doing any surgery.
I also finished painting the faux cooler grill for the front of the car and installed it today and it looks great.
Posted by Iron Mike at 6:30 PM
Friday, January 1, 2010
Cleaned out my gas tanks today and since it's been sitting around for a few years it was pretty chipped up. So, I decided to repaint it. I used a textured aluminium paint and I think it looks pretty cool. Also made a gasket for the filler cap since it didn't come with one. I used a mountain bike inner tube. I have used this method a few places on the car and it's easy and cheap material to work with.
I will install the cap and the fuel level sensor tomorow after the paint fully cures.
I noticed a few people asked for the paint codes that I used. I will post them as soon as I verify what they are. I know the red is Ford Lightning Red but I'm not sure about the white.
Posted by Iron Mike at 10:17 PM
Sunday, December 6, 2009
Got the car back from the painter yesterday morning and today I started putting all the big parts and trim pieces back on the car. I need to finesse the mounting holes for the windshield a little to make it fit better. They are angled a little too much so the windshield will not lay flat in the bottom seal retainer. It looks like I just need to file a little off the back sides of the mounting holes and it should drop right in.
The paint looks good, I'm happy with the colors. Tried to get a couple shots outside in the light but we don't have much of that up here this time of year.
Posted by Iron Mike at 5:16 PM