Sunday, January 6, 2008

T stands for trouble



So Like I mentioned I had a few quality issues to deal with when I first started. I chose to do the front and rear suspention first so the car could be rolled around as needed. The T/R manual kind of follows a rational path but I have deviated from that path a little as I am a guy and guys don't follow directions very well. Anyways back to the Issues. First thing was I found a broken bearing shell that had been powder coated over on the front beam and when I was cleaning out the upper tube I found what was left of the bearing rollers. There was also a punch hole that looks like it was made with a screw driver next to the tube on the shock upright. So after much grinding prying and cussing I got the remains of the old bearing out. So on with the assembly right?.....Wrong! in the left lower tube I found a bugpac urethane bushing that was pushed way back into the tube. I found this out when I was finishing up the front susp. assembly and of course the last piece I was putting on was the left side lower trailing arm. So, I had to dis-assemble what I had done on the lower beam and figure out how to get the urethane bushing out as I could not get the trailing arm to seat with it in there.

Long story short I ended up pounding the trailing arm in as far as I could with a deadblow hammer and then using a slide hammer was able to pull the bushing closer to the open end of the tube. I then took a large soldering iron with a long flat tip on it and was able to cut the bushing into four pieces and pull it out. After all that I welded up the punch hole and the rest went together per the instructions, took awhile to get it all done though.

No comments: